June 18, 2020 Update
On June 9, 2020, the US Office of Civil Rights made it clear that all hospitals and doctor’s offices must allow patients with disabilities to have a supporter with them. This video and booklet were created by Green Mountain Self-Advocates and the Autistic Self Advocacy Network to equip self-advocates to know your rights to have someone to support you when getting health care.
VIDEO – Know Your Rights: People with Disabilities Can Have a Supporter in the Hospital during COVID-19 https://www.youtube.
May 14, 2020 Update:
PBS did an important news story about how people with disabilities are getting less services during the Coronavirus emergency. Click here for the story.
Most states are requiring workers to do an OSHA Health and Safety training. Click here to get a plain language version of the training.
May 4, 2020 Update:
4-part video series from English- and Spanish- speaking self-advocates giving critical COVID information. Produced by California DD Council.
- Episode 1: How to Stay Healthy
- Episode 2: What Should I Do If I Think I’m Sick?
- Episode 3: What I Should Do If I Get Sick
- Episode 4: What To Do If a Caregiver or a Family Member Gets Sick
- Episodio 1 – Cómo mantenerse saludable
- Episodio 2 – Lo que debo hacer si creo que estoy enfermo:
- Episodio 3 – Lo que debo hacer si estoy enfermo
- Episodio 4 – Lo que debo hacer si mi familiar o persona que me cuida se enferma
New Video – What You Need to Know About COVID-19. Learn all about COVID-19 in plain language. Made by Rooted in Rights in collaboration with ASAN.
April 30, 2020 Update
New Toolkit – A Self-Advocate’s Guide to COVID-19. Below you can download any of the 8 parts or the entire toolkit. And available at http://www.gmsavt.org/
- Part 1: Basic Covid-19 Information By And For People With Disabilities
- Part 2: Tips For Working With Support Staff During Covid-19
- Part 3: Sample Advocacy Letter About Patients with Intellectual Disabilities Having a Support Person With Them When in the Hospital
- Part 4: COVID-19 Medical Information Form for People With Disabilities
- Part 5: How People On SSI And SSDI Get A Stimulus Check
- Part 6: Getting Unemployment Benefits During the Coronavirus Emergency
- Part 7: Developmental Services During the Coronavirus Outbreak
- Part 8: Coronavirus Plain Language Glossary or Words To Know
- Part 9: Know Your Rights: Bringing a Supporter to a Hospital or Doctor’s Office
- You can also download the entire toolkit by clicking here
April 15th – Final rules for how people getting SSI will get their $1,200 stimulus money. Click here
Here are more links to check out:
March 19 Meeting Recording on What is Social Distancing? Self-Care – How to Take Care of Yourself During COVID-19. Click here
To see or get the PowerPoint used for this meeting click here
A 3-minute video Coronavirus Tips for Staying Healthy by The Self-Determination Channel of Wisconsin Board for People with Developmental Disabilities. Click here
March 17 meeting recording on What is the Coronavirus? Click here
Here is a link to other booklets from SARTAC about COVID-19 issues:
A basic 8-page booklet about the Coronavirus is written by and for people with developmental disabilities. It focuses on “need to know” information (not “nice to know” information). Our goal is to keep people with disabilities healthy during this national crisis
View More Resources About: Health